Obama campaign Jumps the Shark
"You Didn't Build That!"
"Jumping the Shark", a term which has come to denote the beginning of a downhill slide in the quality of a TV series, originally referred to a Happy Days episode in which the character Fonzie jumped over a shark while waterskiing. Critics claim that from that point on, the show descended into campy mediocrity.
The Right asserts:
- Obama's campaign has "jumped the shark" by scolding business people, "You didn't build that!"
- Obama was not actually waterskiing at the time
- The Right is taking his being pulled by a boat "out of context"
- If Obama was being pulled by a boat, it's only because Republicans have let the roads and bridges fall apart
- Further, if Obama had seen a shark while being pulled by a boat and jumped over it, it's only because he is so kind to animals
- In any case, that was an underrated Happy Days episode
- Mitt Romney waterskis too and has a really expensive boat
- Look, the Koch Brothers!
(Cautionary tale: Although the aforementioned Happy Days episode is recognized as the turning point in the series, it dragged-on another six painful years...)