"VOTE!", we are commanded. Every election season we are incessantly barked at to participate in our democracy. That's not surprising. The same people ordering us to vote are the ones who believe they dominate our narratives. They think their message has gotten through and we'll vote according to their dictates. This is true on both sides of the aisle. If a Leftist is ordering you to vote, chances are they think you are a Leftist too. Ditto on the Right.
I believe you absolutely should vote, but only if you are actually informed. Do you know some history, some economics, and some current events (and not the "fake news" versions)?
Voting for the sake of voting without being informed is the same as investing without having a clue; you are bound to lose everything. I have no interest in morons choosing my government. None at all.
So, here's a brief quiz to see if you should vote:
- Who famously said, "I can see Russia from my house!"
- Who told Americans in the wake of 9/11 to, "Go shopping!"
- What President's policies ended the Great Recession, finally found Osama bin Laden, and achieved its military goals in Afghanistan and Iraq?
- Which President praised neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, VA, and mocked a reporter's handicap?
If you nailed this quiz, go vote! If not, stay home and read a book!
1. Tina Fey said that. Sarah Palin never did.
2. Newsweek said that. George W. Bush never did.
3. George W. Bush's policies did those things, not Barack Obama's, even though he was in office at the time.
4. No President did that, including Donald Trump, who said some of the people in Charlottesville protesting removal of a statue were "good people". He never praised the neo-Nazis who were there. And many media outlets falsely accused Trump of mocking a reporter's handicap by gesticulating in a spastic manner, which he DID do, but A) the handicapped reporter was not spastic, and B) Trump uses that spastic gesture ALL THE TIME, and even used it earlier in the same speech when referring to indecisive military Generals!