I was watching the movie “Inception” last night and was struck by the following quote:
Cobb: “What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate.”
In case you haven’t seen the movie, “Inception” refers to the implanting of ideas by entering the subconscious during an induced dream state and then manipulating the dream to get the implanted idea to take hold.
The elements of inception are these:
- An induced dream state
- A willing subconscious
- A compelling dreamscape
- Active manipulation of the dream
- An idea to implant
- A strong defense against competing ideas
Political liberals have either consciously or unconsciously, understood this concept and used it to make their ideas “resilient… highly contagious…. and impossible to eradicate”.
Here’s how liberals have achieved inception success:
- First they induce a dream state: With their dominant position in entertainment, academia, and news media, liberals have unique access to the subconscious. Whether sitting in a classroom, living room, or theatre, the captive subject is in a state of relaxed “suspended disbelief” where often the critical mind is on standby. (How else could you believe in talking toys, Jedi Knights, or time travel? The “willing suspension of disbelief” is one of the keys to entry into the subconscious. Oh, and it’s essential for hypnosis too!)
- Next they make the dream appealing: Utopianism, Hope and Change, Free Stuff, Social Security, Social Justice, and Equality of Outcomes. Who in their right mind would find a one-sided presentation of any of these ideas unappealing?
- Next, they manipulate the dream: To advance their ideas, liberals employ bogus statistics, sophistry, and outright lies. I realize this is a serious charge that requires some backup. A full accounting would take years, so in the interest of brevity, I’ll just cite a few examples from yesterday alone!
- The President stated that if the Supreme Court overturns ObamaCare, it would represent an “unprecedented, extaordinary” act because the law passed congress. This is a lie: The Supreme Court routinely overturns unconstitutional legislation. In fact, that is its purpose.
- The President indicated The Supreme Court lacks credibility because they are “unelected”. This is a lie: The Constitution deliberately insulates the Supreme Court from politics by creating a court of lifetime appointees.
- The President stated that if ObamaCare is found unconstitutional, that would be an act of “judicial activism”. This is a lie: Judicial activism is when judges find new rights and powers not specifically enumerated in The Constitution.
- Finally, liberals work very hard to destroy any competing ideas regardless of merit. Sarcasm, snark, propaganda, and fear, are just some of the tools utilized to make any competing idea toxic. Perhaps the best illustration of this comes from the following quotes from Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals”, the tactical bible for today’s liberals:
“One acts decisively only in the conviction that all the angels are on one side and all the devils on the other.”
“…Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”
“…Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”
Ever since these ideas entered the community in an organized manner, polarization and demonization have been the rule from liberals.
Conservatives have a marked disadvantage when it comes to inception:
- Conservatives do not have access to the subconscious. With the possible exception of a few media outlets, conservatives have almost no active voice in the pop culture, pop academia, or pop media.
- If conservatives had access to the subconscious, they still could not easily make their dream appealing. Personal responsibility, accountability, and hard work suck! Moreover, these behaviors rarely offer immediate gratification.
- Conservatives are programmed to tell the truth. Yes, nobody’s perfect. But I would argue, this one characteristic is the defining difference between most liberals and most conservatives. (see my motto above!)
- Conservatives are pre-disposed to avoid gratuitously destroying their enemies. Decorum, manners, honor, and tradition are all conservative concepts. Liberals have no similar fealty to such antiquated notions of behavior.
In order to deal with this imbalance, conservatives must find new ways to implant their ideas.
Perhaps the best example of this today is Glenn Beck who has combined education, comedy, internet distribution, live performance, publishing, and even God to get his conservative message out. Others in the fray are a few internet-based media-focused groups who also use comedy, news, entertainment and education, to get their messages out.
Conservatives do have a voice in some traditional media outlets like talk radio and cable news. And thanks to the internet, a conservative revolution in news and commentary has already occurred there. But, to a large extent all of this is currently preaching to the choir.
What is still needed is a concerted effort to potentially reach everyone, and to do that, conservatives must produce more high quality general entertainment content. Some of it is out there no doubt, but much, much more is needed. Movies, music, comedy, and theater: only through more of this will conservatives be able to break into the vast subconscious that liberals currently have near exclusive access to.
Until Conservatives figure out how to generate much more quality content in general entertainment, they will forever be losing to liberals in the war of inception. For my part, I'm going to take a stab at a screenplay. Maybe you should too?